Test drives
I drove two cars with the same 3.2l engine and automatic grearbox (DSG, called S-tronic in the Audi) on consecutive days. They were also both 4WD, but in the VW they are using the Haldex system, and in the Audi they are using the Torsen. It wasn't really that slippery in the beginning of January (we've had a warm winter), but I got some feel of the 4WD.
They've used lots of aluminium on the Audi TT, so it's almost 200kg lighter than than the VW Golf R32, and you can feel it when accelerating. The TT actually feels quite fast, and it's a great ride. On the downside it's really tough to see anything from the car, and the automatic back spoiler has definitely not been development with snow and ice in mind... And no back seat, in practise.
Stepping in into the R32 felt quite familiar, since I happen to have a GTI myself. And they've done something great with the exhaust, since the sound of the engine when accelerating is just beautiful. On the downside the R32 is a lot heavier, so it doesn't feel any faster than the GTI, sometimes almost slower. But from the lights it's of course fast, due to the 4WD.
So, if I were to choose between these two, it would still be the R32, although I'd prefer it with the 2.0T engine, potentially tickled a little.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home